The hospital a prominent private hospital in Nairobi, Kenya and its associated clinics provide international-quality patient-centered care.
The primary responsibility of the Pediatric Surgeon will be to diagnose and provide operative and post-operative care to children with a variety of diseases and health conditions. In addition, this position will have the unique opportunity to start a new pediatric surgery fellowship training program.
Candidates must be able to commit to one year or two years, with extension of the contract available.
- Diagnose and treat children with surgical-related conditions in outpatient and inpatient settings. Attend a regular pediatric surgical clinic as well as provide surgical consulting services to pediatric patients in the hospital.
- Lead the pediatric surgical team in the operative repair of a variety of pediatric surgical conditions.
- Educate patients and their families on their disease and its treatment. Coach patients and families on management of their illness, including proper medication adherence, making behavior and lifestyle changes, or learning coping strategies to minimize their reliance on medications.
- Work with the hospital leadership and staff to design, establish, and run a run pediatric surgery fellowship training program which will train surgeons to specialize in pediatric surgery.
- Participate in quality assurance activities to maintain, improve, and extend the quality of care provided by the surgical team.
- As needed, work with national and regional media to educate the public on the prevention and treatment of pediatric trauma as well as on other pediatric surgery conditions, their early detection, prevention, and treatment.
- Train other physicians and members of the healthcare team to improve their ability to diagnose and treat pediatric surgery conditions. This includes lecturing, mentoring, and the creation of diagnosis and treatment guidelines and pathways.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, and participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in Pediatric Surgery.
- Instruct medical students, interns and residents in diagnosis and surgical treatment of pediatric disease.
- Candidates must have a medical degree (MBBS, MD, DO, etc.) and must have successfully completed a pediatric surgery fellowship/master’s degree and passed pediatric surgery licensing exams and must be in good standing with the medical board where he or she is currently practicing.
- Must be having at least 2-3 years of experience as a pediatric surgery, preferably with 2-3 years experience managing large teams.
- Excellent soft skills, including communication, interpersonal skills and team-building skills.
- Ability to practice patient-centered care and be able to guide patients on the treatment and management of diseases.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills.
- Good computer skills, including MS Office tools and preferably experience with electronic medical records.
The client will offer an attractive salary and benefits package including assistance to settle the specialist in Nairobi, Kenya.
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter to bozena[at]bwspot.eu.